Thursday, 18 June 2015

Is it Worth Going to London Fashion Weekend?

DSC_0772
Fashion Week might be an event for the industry but it can’t be denied that what keeps it going are the millions of customers behind it. It almost seems too nice for the fashion industry, so exclusive otherwise, but every season London Fashion Week is followed by its smaller sister, London Fashion Weekend - an event dedicated to the consumer, where subject to a fee you can participate in a weekend of fashion related panels, fashion’s biggest pop-up and even fashion shows. Ultimately, it’s like paying for the girlfriend experience, only you’re paying for the fashion week experience.

I don’t want to make it sound like it’s a bad thing because I think it’s great. And this year I was lucky enough to have tickets that included a trend show styled by The Outnet as well as an invite that I used to gain access to the event all throughout the weekend.

I wanted to write this post documenting my experience this February because I know I had hesitated buying a ticket many times before not knowing whether it was worth paying £30+ on something that might turn out to be a gimmick. To begin with, the event has something for everyone – from designing your own shirts to getting your hair done and attending fashion shows. I personally think it would be worth spending the extra £10 to attend one of the fashion shows – it’s obviously nowhere near the real experience but sitting in the actual LFW venue is a pretty cool feeling. Call it lame but I got really excited to think that I was sitting in the spot where days before industry experts had decided what direction fashion would take in the following months. On the other hand, you do realise quite how uncomfortable those seats are, there’s nothing glamorous about being squished between huge coats and big fedora hats.

However, if I were to pick one thing I would say forget about the show, forget about the fashion pop-up and forget about the goodie bag. Attend the panels. Yes, you can find £20 Linda Farrow sunglasses but if shopping is all you’re there for you might as well use that money to go to Bicester Village and get much better deals. The whole idea of having fun with your girlfriends whilst enjoying a manicure is nice but the fashion panels I attended gave me a real insight into the industry. From hearing about smaller (amazing!) brands like Blake and Yolke (I need THIS in my life) to how larger companies like Larsson and Jennings have become this big, it was less about the glamorous surface of fashion and more about what it really is like on the inside. The cherry on top was that I got the opportunity to hear all about the Savage Beauty exhibition from its curator, getting a sneak peak into the pieces on show.
DSC_06451
DSC_06471

To be completely honest, I wouldn’t recommend LFWEnd if you’re only going for the fun, there are plenty of other fun events you can attend out there for much less money. If, however, you want to get a better glimpse on the industry grab some tickets. Bear in mind though that they are only available for the time slot you have booked them for and that once you leave the premises you can’t go back so make sure you buy your tickets with any panels you might want to attend in mind.

Finally, there’s never a recipe for doing things right so no amount of panels you might attend or people you might talk to will guarantee your success. However, after London Fashion Weekend I went back home thinking I could actually work in this industry, that it might just be right for me, so I think for anyone in my position, it might just be worth attending.

For anyone interested you can book London Fashion Weekend Tickets HERE 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...